Quantcast

1/10/11

On the Menu: Crow and Humble Pie

Perhaps it is ironic.

No, that would be incorrect usage.

Is it a paradox?

Um, I am not sure.

Whatever it is, I couldn't hear the laughter for all my self-promotion and horn tootin'.

After all my talk about grammar, mechanics, and usage, this morning I got a big smack in the face. There are some areas of mechanics that I have to focus on and really think about when proofreading anything. But for the last six months, I have been reading grammar books like other people read the latest release off the Best Seller's List.

I thought that I had reviewed areas I had forgotten, learned things I never knew, and strengthened skills I was already using.

And then, the unthinkable happened.

This morning, after logging onto one of the content providers I write for, a new section calling for proofreaders opened up. I knew this element was coming, and I was excited for it. In order to be granted access, a ten-question test has to be passed with a 90% or better. Those receiving a failing grade can re-test three months from the test date.

So, I took the test.

And in three months I can try again.

In the meantime, I will be spending some time studying and taking some tests.
Interactive Online Grammar Exercises - English Grammar Connection
BBC - Skillswise - Words - Grammar
Basic Skill Practice Games
Grammar and Punctuation | The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Since I started this post, I had to go into the forum of the content site to find a link. Others started a thread stating that they had not passed the test either. Hmm...interesting.

This shall be the next-to-last time I mention the blatant misuse of someone's grammar or mechanics.

Here it goes:

As seen on a banner for a new business opening in town, "So-and-So's Thrift Shop. Now accepting ladie's clothes...."

As seen in my own bureau drawer, a returned envelope addressed to "The Manco's."

Oh yes, I did.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...