Quantcast

9/10/08

WFMW #3- Healthy Lunch



Let's face it; packing a lunch isn't time consuming, but making it healthy takes some work. In an effort to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our diet, pre-packaged things are almost a thing of the past for us. I say almost because while there are some good choices out there, cost is also a factor. I am proud to say, though, that 99.9 percent of the time, we don't have any products that contain HFCS in the pantry.


[If you are a corn farmer, I do apologize. We do partake of corn occasionally.]

Having said all that, here is my tip of the week

Enter my BFF, Rubbermaid.

As their fruit choice, my kids love applesauce the best (for the lunch box)- cinnamon being the flavor preferred. When I couldn't find any pre-packaged that didn't have HFCS, and that didn't cost less than $3 for six, I turned to my faithful lunchbox companion.

I buy natural, unsweetened applesauce in the jar. When I am packing the lunch, I sprinkle just a bit of cinnamon first into the container. No sugar or anything. Then I pour in some applesauce. Pop on the lid and shake to distribute the spice. They love it. And honestly, it takes me less than a minute to make two.

I'm sure I am not the first person to think of doing this, but my husband thought it was genius.

He may be prejudiced though.

Thanks for visiting. Have a great week!

3 comments:

SarahHub said...

Great idea!

My husband is a no-plastic fanatic, so we use glass everything. What will I do when I have to pack lunches for Evie?

Beachy Mimi said...

Tagged you with a meme at Beachy Mimi

Alexandra said...

great idea! how did you stock your pantry with no HFCS?!?! it's in everything! which is very frustrating.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...