Quantcast

3/20/11

Why Brothers Fight: Stream of Consciousness Sunday

#SOCsunday
Stream of Consciousness Sunday [str-ee-m • uf  • cons-shun-ness • sun-day] - noun
1. The clearing one's mind through a writing exercise.
2. An uninhibited list or post of one's thinking process.






Rules:
1. Set timer for 5 minutes.
2. Write. Keep it raw and unedited.
3. No one judges on spelling or grammar errors.
4. Link back on Fadra's page as she is our hostess with the mostess.
5. Follow the other participants.

Let's do this!

--------------------


The kids are officially on spring break. For the next two weeks. And while this was an event normally I would cherish, that was before I started working from home. I have a new client that demands a lot of my time. A LOT. And while that is good and all, forty-million calls a day and two whiny boys does not mix well.

Case in point. Just now they come in complaining because one was kicking the other's bike. Really? You are bothering me for this mundane crap? Back in my day, we took care of it. We didn't go whining to mom or dad because someone was bothering us.

I have tried and tried and tried and tried to get them to understand that they aren't toddlers anymore and they have got to learn to work out their differences and walk away. It doesn't seem to faze them in the least. They come whining to me and then when I handle it, they are both mad. It's a lose- lose all around.

Open door. Close door. Open door. Close door. It is going to be a long two weeks.

I used to think their sole mission in  life was to but and torture each other. I now think they torture each other to in effect, torture ME.



9 comments:

Tiffany (Snarky Momma) said...

Just a little while ago I was thinking that when my now-8-month-old gets to be her brother's age I'll be able to be more productive with my freelance stuff since she'll be able to entertain herself. I forgot that kids playing TOGETHER in the same vicinity tends to equal unmitigated distraction for mom.

*le sigh*

Deb said...

:) so very funny. and not in a mean way... your writing captured your frustration (laced with love) perfectly. i'm smiling. and laughing.

and hoping the two weeks flies by. with minimal door activity. :)

all.things.fadra said...

Although I am a mother of one, I am reminded by my friends with MORE than one, that they do entertain each other but that you are forever playing referee.

Working from home still requires time to work. It's a delicate balance!

Heather said...

Tiffany,
I kept thinking, until about a year ago, "When they get X age, things will get easier." While some facets are, mostly, it's just another day with a new problem to solve.

All I heard all day today was, "I am lonely. Can you do something with me." He is 10.

Heather said...

Deb,
Thanks for the positive thoughts! I have one week alone with them, and then Big Daddy is on vacation for the second week. So, add another whiny boy vying for my attention to the mix...

(Oh, I kid. He is awesome.)

What will happen as it did after Christmas vacation is that I'll miss them when they are gone.

:)

Heather said...

Fadra,

If I ever get this balance down, I think I'll have it. But of course by then there will be a new issue to contend with, I am sure. :)

All whining aside, My boys are good boys. I could have it so much worse. They simply haven't learned the art of timing yet. Much like their mother.

Melisa_Smithwick1 said...

Great, another thing to look forward to...children that want to torture me. Apparently not being able to grant me enough sleep won't be enough! Good luck with the next 2 weeks!

Heather said...

Oh you'll get your sleep time. ;)

Thanks for the luck! As long as the sun it out, we'll be good.

Lori Helms said...

I can remember a lot of times when that scenario happened in our house too. I think ours eventually got better about it though. It's amazing that your kids get two weeks spring break. Most people I know only get one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...