Quantcast

8/29/11

Take It to the Limit

road sign I


It has finally occurred to me that I have a problem. A very serious problem.

I have this overwhelming need to be helpful. To be there for everyone. To make sure that everyone is happy.

This wouldn't be such an issue if it weren't for the fact that my inability to say no means that I am over-extended, overwhelmed, overly tired, and under- paid.

To add insult to injury, my need to be helpful also means that I am prey for those predators that like to take advantage of  goodwill.

In the last two weeks, I have decided I have to set some limits and establish boundaries. I am going to have to develop a thick skin, because for some people this new way of life is going to come as a shock.

Now, if I can just get over this guilt I already feel.

How do you limit yourself? How do you know when your plate is full? 





2 comments:

nancy said...

"I'm effective when I'm selective"... as a fellow over-extender, I feel your pain! But when I get to the point that I am doing SO many things but doing NOTHING at 100% (or even at 75%), then I know it is time to scale back. And the phrase above has been the most helpful mantra for me. Some of your family/friends may not understand at first, but hey - it is your sanity at risk, not their's!

Lori Helms said...

Been there and done that. You have to be able to say "no."

http://lori-dustypages.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...